Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Yesterday was a very emotionally stressful day! We finally got a little snow and a little ice on the roads and a little wind blowing the snow around on the day we are leaving to take Colter to the airport to leave for his mission. We were only a few miles out of Hanna when we were the first on the scene of a head on collision of two PT cruisers. One car was in the ditch nose first on the left side of the road. The other car was on the side of the road on the right hand side. Both were pretty smashed up. Ed and Colter went to the car on the road and came running back asking for any kind of blankets. Usually we have blankets in the car but no go yesterday. Colt dug out two hoodies from his bags, I took my hoodie off and we found a flannel sheet. I was crocheting on a baby blanket and Ed said this was a greater need as he took it too. A little girl was laying on the road between the car and the ditch. She had cuts toher head and obvioulsy a broken leg. We covered her up with what we had. Her mother was on the phone for help. In the other car the woman was pinned in. It seemed forever before other help came. They were going to fly the girl to Calgary for surgery on her leg but couldn't because of weather so our Dr. rode in the ambulance with her. So an hour or so later we were on our way againn in bad weather and crappy roads. We phoned church travel services in Salt Lake City to inform them Colt would not be making the 1:30 flight. In minutes they had him booked on another one at 3:30! We met our Stake President and Colt got set apart. It was a wonderful blessing. Then off to the airport. A few fun pictures ( to follow) and we hugged him goodbye. We had to arrange for someone to be home when the kids got off the bus because we were late. The roads were good on the way home.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Oh wow! I am sorry to hear that you had to go through all that stress.....but I am SURE that family was SO appreciative to see angels come to help them yesterday. I got chills just reading this. I remember when my family were in an accident just two years ago and I got the call. As I rushed to the scene there were SO many good, and kind and caring people there already trying to help. It took my breath away...it brought back a sense of hope instantly.

Thanks for sharing! I am glad you wrote it down, even though I am SURE that all three of you will never forget that day.