Saturday, August 23, 2008


Ode to my Best Friend:
I have moved a lot. Before I left home I had moved over 30 times. Every new house, every new ward, every new town, I had to start all over making new friends. I am not an outgoing person and talking to new people is very difficult for me. I don’t like a lot of acquaintances, I prefer one or two deep, long lasting friendships. I have one particular friendship that has lasted through all the moves and is very precious. It all started the day I was born. I was such a cute little girl and I was thoroughly doted upon by you, Aunt Darlene. I like being doted upon. You did a great job. Over the years you dressed me up, took me places, talked to me, listened to me, fed me, and encouraged me. I remember when you worked at a hamburger joint in Cardston. I loved walking down town knowing you would always be glad to see me and let me help and feed me.
You are a nurturer and have nurtured our friendship through thick and thin. My thinnest was probably the day I was born, and my thickest was nine months pregnant. You listen to me whine, remind me why babies were soooooo cute, and give me adorable baby blankets. As my babies came you have helped tend them, given me advice and encouragement and second hand clothes. When I try something new or create something or buy something, you are wonderful at oooohs and ahhhs.

Weddings, reunions, holidays, vacations, and everyday phone calls are all entwined with the memories of you being there. I remember when I was elementary school one of my favorite memories is lying on your purple bedspread in your room in the basement with the window open and a slight breeze blowing while I read a book. Over the years we have shared many books and favorite authors. And quilt patterns. The very first quilt I made I made in high school was using a pattern that you made with Love Is cartoons and red and white fabric. My husband loved the quilt. My son Brett did too. Between them both they loved it literally to pieces! I had to make another one. This time my daughter requested that I put clothes on the cartoon people though, please. Dave loved that one, too. You have helped me finish so many of my quilts. I will work on the tops throughout several years and then you are so wonderful and come down and help me quilt them. All right, all right, you quilt them while I run around chasing kids and dishes.
Now that you don’t live in Utah, I don’t go there anymore. It just isn’t the same.
I am so glad that the phone company has a great flat rate to Canada.
Happy Birthday
Love Leslie

3 comments:

darlene said...

Ah Leslie ( wiping tears) thank you so much. YOu make me feel needed and loved! And a little artistic!!!

darlene said...

Ah Leslie ( wiping tears) thank you so much. YOu make me feel needed and loved! And a little artistic!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Late Birthday Aunt Darlene! I didn't know you had a blog!! I am so excited. Everyone in your family is getting so old. Your kids are so cute. Keep up the blogging!